The American Red Cross on Disaster Preparedness
It’s important family members know how to be prepared and informed in the event of a disaster or emergency. There may be times your family members are separated, so it’s important everyone knows how to get in contact with one another.
- Meet with your family members.
- Discuss and role play different emergency situations and how to handle.
- Identify what each family member will be responsible for and plan how to work together as a team.
- If you are separated during an emergency, choose a couple places to meet: 1) near your home in case of a local emergency; 2) outside your neighborhood in case of evacuation.
- Agree on an emergency contact person. Make sure everyone has this person’s information on their cell phones and in writing.
- Plan family evacuation drills, so everyone knows where and what to do, with a clear head. The more you practice, the easier it will be for family members to keep calm and focus during an actual emergency.
- Plan where you would go and your route.
- Plan what to do with your pets.
- Put together a basic emergency kit: One gallon of water per person per day for at least 3 days; 3 day supply of non-perishable food; batteries; flashlights; first aid kit; medications; whistle; moist towelettes; garbage bags; manual can opener; cell phone with chargers; cash; emergency information; sleeping bags; change of clothing.
- Download the Red Cross Storm Emergency App.
- For more information, go to www.redcross.org.