Carbon monoxide is a odorless, colorless and toxic gas produced whenever fuel is burned. If appliances that use gas, oil, kerosene, wood or charcoal are not working properly, the carbon monoxide (CO) levels will rise to hazardous levels that can become deadly.
Don’t let your guard down because spring is coming. Most of us still need to heat our homes, so it’s best to play it safe and pay attention to the following tips to prevent problems.
- Hire a trained professional to inspect your fuel-burning appliances during the heating season.
- Make certain the flues and chimneys are connected, in good condition and not blocked.
- Choose appliances that vent their fumes to the outside of your house, keep them properly maintained and unblocked. Be sure snow isn’t covering the vent openings on the outside of your home.
- Don’t let a car idle in the garage–fumes can build up very quickly in the garage and living area of your home.
- Don’t ignore symptoms, especially if more than one person in the family is feeling them.
- Purchase UL certified carbon monoxide detectors for every level of your home and close to the bedrooms. Check batteries regularly and replace/maintain as needed.
Know The Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:
- Shortness of breath
- Mental confusion
- Feel sick when you’re in the house and better when you’re outside the house
- Since the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to the flu, food poisoning or other illnesses, play it safe if multiple members of your household exhibit the same symptoms. GET fresh air immediately and go to the emergency room!
Enjoy the rest of the winter and keep safe!